We believe that the following list exemplifies some of the views held dear by British citizens:
- Development of self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Distinguishing right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England.
- Acceptance and responsibility for behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely.
- Understanding or and respect for public institutions and services in England.
- Tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures.
- Encourage respect for other people.
- Encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic process, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
Although this list is not exhaustive, we believe it encapsulates the attitudes of Deyes High School students and the values that we as a community hold dear.
When discussing British values with students, they commented on the core values, which we promote, and their relation to British values. They felt that our values mirrored those values above by promoting:
- Positive contributions to the community
- Respect and responsibility
- Self-esteem, self-knowledge and self-confidence
- A fair and tolerant community
- The school helps students by making them young leaders
They also commented on what they believe contributed to being a British citizen in a modern British school and society:
- We must accept each other and have our voices heard.
- British people always work through difficult situations, no matter how tough, as should students.
- We are accepting of diversity and are a strong community.
- Everyone has their own set of values which they deem important, despite their country or religion. Our values reflect these.
- British values cannot simply be defined by a set of words- they are much more.
- Fairness and equality should be clear above all.
- Respect is key to positive relationships.
- Be proud and patriotic, of who and where we are, whatever that might be.
- Participate and represent within your community.
- We are considerate of others and encourage each other.